Library Resources |Internet Sites | Community Resources | Search Strategies | Suppliers
Return to top
Materials listed here may be located at different branch libraries, please check our online catalog for location and availability.
Basic book repair methods
by Abraham Schecht (1999)
Bookbinding, and the care of books: a handbook for amateurs, bookbinders & librarians
by Douglas Cockerell (1991)
Cleaning and repairing books: a practical home manual
by R. L. Shep (1980)
Curatorial care of works of art on paper: basic procedures for paper preservation
by Anne Clapp (1987)
Return to top
The following two factsheets give general and control information.
Ohio University Extension Factsheet (in PDF)
Penn State University Factsheet (in PDF)
- Conservation Book Repair Manual
- A training manual that covers basic to advanced techniques.
- A Simple Book Repair Manual
- Includes practical guidelines, toolbox, cleaning, air dry method, spine repair and more.
- University of Rochester: Book Repair Manual
- Offer tips from basic cleaning to binding information.
- Caring for Your Artifacts
- Henry Ford Museum's fact sheets provide basic information on care, cleaning, and handling of particular types of artifacts. Also provides referral information to other conservation organizations and a bibliography of authoritative works.
- Caring for Your Collections: Preservation (Library of Congress)
- Online publications that give advice on how to care for books, photos, videos and other media.
- Northeast Document Conservation Center
- Resources for preserving private and family collections.
- University of Illinois: Proper Care and Handling of Books
- Tips on preventive maintenance of valued collection and how to save water damaged items.