Library Resources | Internet Sites
Materials listed here may be located at other branch libraries. Please check our online catalog for location and availability. (R=Reference, in-library use only)
Back to basics: how to learn and enjoy traditional American skills
Published by Reader's Digest Association (1981)
R640.973 BACK TO & 640.973 BACK TO
Published by Anchor Press (1975)
-Multi-volume set which contains interviews and essays describing the way of life and crafts of pioneer America still surviving in the Appalachian region.
R975.8123 FOXFIRE & 975.8123 FOXFIRE
Index to how to do it information
Published by Norman Lathrop Enterprises
-Multi-volume set index to magazines for do-it-yourself-work; includes handicrafts, industrial arts and hobbies. Many back-issues of magazines indexed from this source can be found at the Vancouver Community Library.
R 016.745 INDEX
Popular mechanics complete home how-to
Published by Hearst Books (2004)
-How-to information on a variety of projects.
Library Catalog--Searching Tips:
To find books with how-to information in the catalog, type in the general topic word, such as drawing, textile crafts, woodworking etc. To narrow the result, try adding words like how to, instruction, techniques or do-it-yourself.
To find books on miscellaneous repair, including the Time-Life fix it yourself series, type in fix it or type in the desired subject with the word repair. The library also has automobile, small engine, boat engine, motorcycle, and small appliance repair manuals.
To find auto-repair information:
All library branches have import and domestic automobile repair manuals in their reference sections. The Vancouver Community Library has the largest selection of reference repair manuals, including items published by Chilton, Mitchell, and Motor. Some older-model repair manuals for domestic cars go back to 1939 and some tractor repair manuals are also available upon request at the reference desk. Some repair manuals are available for check-out.
Chilton.com is a licensed database covering auto and body repair information for the most popular vehicles of the past 30 years, plus additional coverage of specialty models. Available at all branches and remotely through our library website with a library card.
AllData is another licensed database containing auto repair information for many domestic and imported cars, trucks (up to 1 ton) and vans manufactured since 1982. Available only at the Vancouver Community Library and White Salmon Valley Community Library for in-library-use.
To find magazine articles with how-to information, use General Onefile, which is part of our subscribed Online Databases. Search using the subject of interest (e.g. woodwork, knitting, beadwork). To narrow the result,choose Narrow by Subdivision and look for articles under the subheadings like:
- Equipment and supplies
- Maintenance and repair
- Study and teaching
- Internet directory featuring human guides offering original contents on specific topics with extensive links to relevant websites.
- An excellent resource and gateway to information at manufacturers' sites. Primarily for large appliances.
- Ask the Experts
- Directory of links to websites offering advice and answers to questions about specific topics.
- Clean Anything
Site created in 1999 by a group of cleaning professionals focusing on in-and-around the home cleaning. Features include free cleaning related information, a central listing of cleaning service providers from around the world, and a product review section.
- A home-improvement commercial site with many good repairing, replacing and how-to articles for fixing things around the house.
- DVD Demystified
- An excellent resource for everything related to DVDs.
- Do it Yourself.com
- Home building and decorating site. Site disclaimer lists all information at this website considered reliable, also is “proud to be #1 according to HOME POPULAR.”
- Do it Yourself Resource List
- Directory of links to do-it-yourself websites.
- How Stuff Works.com
- Information provided by HowStuffWorks, “a media company internationally recognized as the leading provider of information on how things work.”
- Instructables: the world's biggest show and tell
- A web-based documentation platform where passionate people share what they do and how they do it, with step-by-step instructions.
- VCR Repair Instruction
- Online manual for VCR repair plus some model-specific information.
- “Lists over 350 categories of free, first-rate, family-safe online tutorials, guides and instructionally-oriented websites.” Designed to allow access to the best free learning opportunities on the web.