Fort Vancouver Regional Libraries is seeking a full-time, bilingual (Spanish/English) public services librarian for our Vancouver Community Library. This position focuses on creating a welcome environment, enriching library experiences, and building and maintaining professional relationships with the Hispanic community, library patrons, and appropriate stakeholders within the community, Vancouver Community Library, and the library district.
Fort Vancouver Regional Libraries is a highly collaborative environment. Vancouver Community Library is no exception. In 2018, of the nearly 70 branch employees, 40 staff members actively participated in planning and facilitating 1,100 programs for library patrons. As part of this team, it is essential that this position leads by example and actively participates in the daily operation of the branch. This position is responsible for:
- Working in the branch to provide a full range of information services to patrons of all ages including responding to reference and reader’s advisory questions, locating materials, and instructing patrons in using library technology.
- Collaborating with branch staff to plan and implement library programs, promoting library services, and building relationships in our community. This position will take the lead in planning programs and outreach opportunities for our local Hispanic communities and patrons of all ages.
- Regularly participating in the management of the branch by acting as the person-in-charge, addressing escalated patron concerns, and providing guidance regarding application of policies and procedures to the branch public service assistants, senior library assistants, and security guards.
To be considered, applicants must have:
- A master’s degree in library and information science from an ALA accredited program, or the ability to obtain Washington State Librarian certification upon hire
- Three to five years of related work experience, including customer service
- Fluency in reading, writing, and speaking Spanish. Ability to pass an assessment demonstrating Spanish language proficiency
The ideal candidate will:
- Have experience working with Hispanic communities
- Demonstrate competence in evaluating current library services
- Make recommendations to improve library services, programs, and outreach
- Collaborate with a team to plan and implement improvement
Please see the position description and addendum linked below for a more detailed list of job duties and requirements.
Position description and addendum
- Public Services Librarian, Bilingual (Spanish/English)—Vancouver Community Library (PDF) (UPDATED 9/24/2019)
The compensation for this position begins at $47,414 per year, plus 2.5% dual language pay premium (see job description for more details), with an excellent benefits package including health insurance benefits, life insurance, accidental death and dismemberment insurance, short term and long term disability benefits, Washington State PERS retirement, and paid time off. No relocation assistance is available for this position.
Application deadline: October 21, 2019
Video (virtual) interviews: November 4, 2019
Final interviews: November 21, 2019