The original OverDrive app has been removed from Google Play store, the Apple App store, and the Microsoft store as of February 23, 2022. This means that new OverDrive users will download the Libby app to access OverDrive eBooks and eAudiobooks on their Android, iOS, or Microsoft devices.
Current users of the OverDrive app will be able to keep using it for now, but OverDrive hopes to switch most users to the Libby app by the end of 2022.
- The OverDrive app will continue to be available in the Amazon Appstore for now, for use on the Kindle Fire. (Libby isn't available for that platform yet.)
- Devices with browsers can also use FVRL's Libby website, which has the look and feel of the Libby app.
- The library's OverDrive website will continue to be fortvancouver.overdrive.com, which has the look and feel of the original OverDrive app.
Overdrive considers Libby to be its primary app, providing a better patron experience. Here are some of its features that aren't available in the original OverDrive app:
- Easier onboarding for new users
- A unified bookshelf for all loans and holds
- Support for multiple library cards
- Direct user support from OverDrive
- A best-in-class ebook reader
- Push notifications for ready holds
- Same look and feel on both Android and iOS devices
- Ability to export notes and highlights
- Tags to track favorite reads, wish lists, and more
- Compatibility with Apple CarPlay (Note: Android Auto is supported in both apps.)
- Sonos speaker integration
- Support for “Extras,” including the streaming video service Kanopy