February 2022 offers not just one but two days full of twos: 2-2-22 and 2-22-22. I think the preponderance of twos in 2022 is definitely worth celebrating, so this is the first of two columns paying tribute to number two, the smallest and only even prime number.
Today’s reading list focuses on famous duos. You’ll find that real and fictional couples are represented including one unusual pairing that embraces the duality of man’s nature (check out Spencer Tracy’s engrossing performance as Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde in the “Turner Classic Movies” DVD).
I hope that one – or two – of these titles are worth two cents of your time. Now let’s give two hoots to reading and viewing entertainment!
- Antony and Cleopatra: “Cleopatra: The Queen who Challenged Rome and Conquered Eternity” by Alberto Angela
- Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde: “Turner Classic Movies Greatest Classic Legends Film Collection: Spencer Tracy” [DVD]
- Marie and Pierre Curie: “Marie Curie and Her Daughters: The Private Lives of Science’s First Family” by Shelley Emling
- Mickey and Minnie Mouse: “Wild Minds: The Artists and Rivalries That Inspired the Golden Age of Animation” by Reid Mitenbuler
- Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson: “The Case of the Murderous Dr. Cream: The Hunt for a Victorian Era Serial Killer” by Dean Jobb
New at the Library
- “Disappearance of a Scribe” by Dana Stabenow
- “The High House” by Jessie Greengrass
- “The Horsewoman” by James Patterson
- “Affirmations for Turbulent Times: Resonant Words to Soothe Body and Mind” by Sarah Peyton
- “The Amur River: Between Russia and China” by Colin Thubron
- “52 Shabbats: Friday Night Dinners Inspired by a Global Jewish Kitchen”by Faith Kramer
- “Bug Atlas: Amazing Facts, Fold-Out Maps, and Life-Size Surprises” by Joe Fullman
- “Holi Hai!” written by Chitra Soundar, illustrated by Darshika Varma
- “The Shadow Prince” by David Anthony Durham
This is just a small sampling of the many new titles added each week to the Fort Vancouver Regional Library District collection. Find more in our catalog, or call (360) 906-5000 to reserve titles or find additional listings.
Jan Johnston, Collection Manager
Fort Vancouver Regional Libraries
You can email Jan at firstname.lastname@example.org
A version of this "Check It Out" column was published in The Columbian newspaper on January 30, 2021.
Find more book columns in our Off the Shelf blog.