The original OverDrive app has been removed from the Google Play, Apple App, and Microsoft stores. This means that new OverDrive users will need to download the Libby app to access OverDrive eBooks and eAudiobooks on their Android and iOS devices.
Current users of the OverDrive app may keep using it for now, but OverDrive plans to discontinue it in early 2023.
- Devices with browsers can also use FVRL's Libby website, which has the look and feel of the Libby app.
- The library's OverDrive website will continue to be fortvancouver.overdrive.com, which has the look and feel of the original OverDrive app.
- For a seamless transition, be sure to switch to Libby by the end of 2022. For more information and extra help, please see our FAQ.
OverDrive states that Libby provides a better experience. Here are some Libby features not available in the original OverDrive app:
- Easier onboarding for new users
- A unified bookshelf for all loans and holds
- Support for multiple library cards
- Direct user support from OverDrive
- A best-in-class eBook reader
- Push notifications for ready holds
- Same look and feel on both Android and iOS devices
- Ability to export notes and highlights
- Tags to track favorite reads, wish lists, and more
- Compatibility with Apple CarPlay
- Sonos speaker integration
- Support for “extras,” including the streaming video service Kanopy