The original OverDrive app will be discontinued on May 1, 2023. Beginning May 1, users attempting to access the FVRLibraries collection via the OverDrive app will be directed to install the Libby app.
Here are some of the features the Libby app offers that the OverDrive app doesn't:
- Easier onboarding for new users
- A unified bookshelf for all loans and holds
- Support for multiple library cards
- Direct user support from OverDrive
- A best-in-class eBook reader
- Push notifications for ready holds
- Same look and feel on both Android and iOS devices
- Ability to export notes and highlights
- Tags to track favorite reads, wish lists, and more
- Compatibility with Apple CarPlay (Note: Android Auto is supported in both apps.)
- Sonos speaker integration
- Support for Extras, including the streaming video service Kanopy
Users needing help making the transition to Libby are encouraged to make an appointment with FVRLibraries staff.
OverDrive also offers the following resources:
- Libby help: How-to videos and step-by-step instructions on Libby Help explain how to use the app.
- Overview page about the transition to Libby: This informational page for users includes an overview of the discontinuation, FAQs, and training opportunities.
- Virtual training: Users can sign up for a virtual training session hosted by OverDrive.
- Options for Kindle Fire devices: As Amazon has not yet accepted the Libby app to the Amazon Appstore, the OverDrive app will remain available for Kindle Fire users to download and access until further notice. Users with Kindle Fire devices can also sideload Libby manually following these steps.