The Fort Vancouver Regional Library District Board of Trustees welcomes visitors to its public meetings, and seeks to maintain a positive, productive atmosphere for participants and attendees. To ensure that public comment periods are efficient and productive, the following guidelines have been established:
At Board Meetings
- FVRL’s Rules of Conduct apply to everyone on library premises. Speakers are expected to be considerate of others, respect the rights and privacy of others, and not engage in loud, disruptive, destructive, or harassing speech.
- A public comment period will be offered during in-person FVRL board meetings in accordance with RCW 42.30.240.
- The comment period may be of limited duration and timing at the discretion of the board chair.
- Speakers must submit a Public Comment Form with their name, city of residence (or county if they reside in an unincorporated area), and the specific topic(s) they wish to address prior to the start of the meeting.
- Individuals may speak for a maximum of two minutes. Time will be kept for each speaker.
- The board chair may review the sign-in form(s) to determine the sequence of speakers at their discretion. Sign-in forms are limited to one per speaker to facilitate organization by the board chair.
- If there are more speakers than time allows, individuals will be called in order of receipt, and local residents will be prioritized over those from outside of FVRL’s service area.
- The decision to respond to comment is at the discretion and under the control of the board chair. In such cases, the chair may allot the speaker a limited additional speaking period to respond to the board. It is not the intent of the board to engage in debate or solve complex issues during a public comment period.
- Generally, the board will listen to public comments and take any suggestions or concerns under advisement.
- If board meeting attendance is offered remotely, individuals wishing to speak must adhere to the provisions of these guidelines, and register with FVRL no later than 1 pm on the day of the meeting by emailing email@example.com, or calling 360-906-5011 and leaving a message. The message should include your name, phone number, city of residence, and topic for comment.
By Mail or Email
- Written comments may be delivered to the board at its monthly public meeting, mailed to the board c/o the FVRL Executive Director at 2018 Grand Blvd, Vancouver, WA 98661, or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org prior to 1 pm on the day of the meeting.
- When feasible, board meetings will be available to attend remotely. The meeting agenda will indicate whether or not a remote option for the meeting is available.
- Letters and emails received will be retained as public records and the names will be recorded in the minutes as having provided comments. The length should equate to two minutes of reading time.
- Emails to the board that contain links to external sources (such as articles, websites, photos or videos), or are a forward of others’ remarks, will not be accepted as public comments.